Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hand Casts - Art 2032A - Fall 2010






This assignment was for my Art 2023A class (3-D) and we had to do cast molds of our hands.  We had to measure exactly the width, length and height of our hands and fingers.  We were to 'double' the size and do it as realistic as possible. 











This was my 1st time making a life-like replica of my hand, and I think I did pretty good - I'm no Rodin, but not too bad either.











Then we had to make a silicon mold out of our clay hand. (no pictures for that one)  After the silicon had dried, we took out the clay and we poured plaster into our mold.








These were the results.  Turned out pretty well.  Just needs a little sanding.  I'm going to clean it up, maybe paint it and hang it in my studio at home, when I get one of course!






Then, we had to make one more hand from our silicon mold.  We had to choose a bonding agent and with a material that you could sift through your hands like rice or sand.  I tried a few experiments with wax and dried peas, white glue and fabric (to dense to completely dry), and melted marshmallows with dried dog food. (stank really bad)
 
 
 
 
 
BUT, I finally decided to line my silicon mold with Hodge Podge and pieces of fabric.  It turned out really well - as you can see!

No comments: